| The Cardinal Giacomo Savelli (the Pope
Honorius IV 1285-1287) ordered its construction in 1282 in the
place where, according to the legend, walked the apostle Paul.
In 1492 Alessandro IV (1492-1501) permitted six Girolamini
monks to establish here. In 1762 the church and the convent
were restored preventing their complete ruin.
In 1769 the Cardinal Marco Antonio Colonna ended the restoration
works eliminating from the façade the portico with its
three arches and adding a beautiful flight of stairs. The cardinal
ordered also the interior arrangement in late eighteenth-century-style.